Saturday, April 23, 2011

Presenting

This entire semester I have been working on my senior design project for Akkerman. You know the one project that is supposed to sum up the skills that you have gained throughout your entire college career. For my project I was designing a 100 ton swivel.Think of it as that little piece in your chair that allows you to spin. This one is 5 inches in diameter almost four feet in length and will still spin if you stack 75 Volkswagen Beetles on top of it. I wish I could say that I did it all on my own. The truth is I was working with and amazing team. We worked quickly and concisely, day and night to complete our task. The best part is that we are all still friends now that we are done. For our presentation we described and showed our project to the faculty, professional advisors, and students. Overall we think they were very impressed. Akkerman even said it was the best project that they have ever seen come out of MSU! 
Cheers to hard work, dedication, and being done!

That sound as it turns out was a problem. The shaft that was machined to fit perfectly inside of the bearings that were sent to Austria to be perfectly machined was not so perfect. As it turns out it was out of round, non concentric and in places the wrong diameter. For every rotation the shaft was causing our bearings to click in to and out of place. Luckily we figured it out before our bearings were destroyed. And new shaft was made!

No comments:

Post a Comment